Sunday, November 24, 2013

My vintage train case

A while back I purchased an old vintage train case at a yard sale.  I paid $5.00 for the case.  I had always admired my friend June’s train case that she had refurbished several years ago and wanted to do one for myself.  I definitely will be on the lookout for more bargain buys at local thrift stores and yard sales for more cases.  I had a lot of fun doing this project.  I certainly found this a challenge, however, I learned a lot with this one hopefully it will be easier next time, lol!!!

These are few of my before and after photos.   I know some of the photos may seem repetitious, however, I tried to show before and after views at different angles. I will post more of the finished views as I didn’t take as many photos during the process of restoring the train case.  I  was happy that the original mirror was still intact.  The mirror has some wear, but that just gives it character.

IMG_1652IMG_1658

Yard Sale Purchase vintage train case “Lady Baltimore”

IMG_1733IMG_1734

Phase I: 

painted with Valspar Satin “Thistle Field”

IMG_2228IMG_2229

Phase II:

painted over Valspar Satin paint with Annie Sloan “Old White”

I wiped with wet soft cloth as I went along to give it the shabby chic look.

 

IMG_2230IMG_2231

Phase III:

I lined the inside with vintage print roses pink and cream fabric purchased from

Hobby Lobby, trimmed edges with satin picot edge ribbon.

 

IMG_2237IMG_2238IMG_2240IMG_2241

Different views of finished case showing off vintage laces.